The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

Oh, My Lanta!

Childish Gambino, or Donald Glover, continues to succeed in the entertainment industry.

Donald Glover stars in “Atlanta” on FX.

Donald Glover stars in “Atlanta” on FX.

PHOTO COURTESY OF FX

PHOTO COURTESY OF FX

Donald Glover stars in “Atlanta” on FX.

Skyla Jewell-Hammie, Opinion Editor

Donald Glover continues to rise with awards, new albums, TV shows and movies. Although throughout the years Glover has had small parts in movies, he gained a high amount of praise after his breakthrough show “Atlanta” hit TV screens on FX. Students like senior Zama Buthelezi still had something to say about him even though she hasn’t listened to much of his music.

“He’s so talented, which is a weird thing to say considering I don’t really listen to his music,” Buthelezi said. “I haven’t seen ‘Atlanta’ yet, but I really want to.”

As he is just beginning to rise in show business, he has always been praised for his music. Recently on March 9, he was permitted a Gold Certification by the Recording Industry Association of America for the hit song “Redbone” off his recent album release, “Awaken, My Love!” Although many found Glover through his hit albums “Because the Internet” and “Kauai,” he still manages to flourish as Donald Glover, the actor, producer, writer and comedian.

His fame led him to the lead voice as Simba in “The Lion King” remake which will earn him a bigger range of recognition with all ages. His voice is something usually heard through a bluetooth speaker, but this time it will be the voice of an animated character all generations have grown to love since its release. He also recently signed to upcoming movie releases of “Han Solo: A Star Wars Story” and “Spider-Man: Homecoming.” These three movies will gain Donald Glover an even larger fan base.

“I have never heard about him until it was announced that he would be in ‘‘The Lion King’’ remake,” senior Caroline Nicholas said. “From what I know as a musical artist, he seems to be pretty cool.”

Like Buthelezi, Nicholas had not really heard anything other than what “The Lion King” has in store for Glover.

Glover started working for Tina Fey as a writer on “30 Rock” and later portrayed a college student on “Community.” Now, Glover is a Golden Globe, NAACP and Critic’s Choice Award winner for his work as an artist and on “Atlanta.” All over the nation, he attracts an eclectic group of fans from different places and different ages. Students like sophomore Jayson Youn expressed praise and gratitude toward Glover. Youn even went as far as writing and presenting a tribute speech about Glover.

“He is successful in everything he does whether it is in [television], movies, music and comedy,” said Youn. “He still is one of my favorite artists.”

Childish Gambino is known for his low-leveled voice turned high with sultry verses. His different sounds capture audiences with the message behind his voice. “Awaken, My Love!” has a different sound altogether, one that audiences have compared to Prince. That comment alone is a high praise and it shows how much Glover is appreciated as an artist. There is still confusion if Donald Glover and Childish Gambino are the same person, but either way, the fans appreciate the talent.