The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

Introducing Humans of Troy High

Follow @thechariotnews on Instagram and @thechariot_news on Twitter for further installments of Humans of Troy High, a local spin on the international phenomenon Humans of New York.

Sarah Semon, Sarah Funk, and Katie Bogdanovich

Senior Pooja Gadhiya

Leah Graham
“Someone asked me why I’m taking this class because I’m so bad at it. I’m not the best at chemistry. I’m taking it as a senior, which is not a good idea because it involves a lot of work and senioritis and stuff. I got my grade back and they looked over and asked, ‘Why are you in this class?’ This was a sophomore. Normally I’ve been in classes with people in my grade, so they kind of understand, but in chemistry most of my class is sophomores, so getting that judgment is just like, ‘Okay, whatever.’”

Sophomore Yousif Aly

Leah Graham
“Our stepdad took us to the pet store and said, ‘Pick any animal you want.’ So we picked a snake because my brother [senior Islam Aly] is obsessed with them. Its name is Zeus.”

Freshman Drew Malotke

“I play disc golf. I started a while ago with my older brother, but then he quit playing so I took over his discs. Not too long ago I was playing a game with my uncles and starting to play a little more. Recently I was in a tournament with my friend and I have been playing ever since. It is probably one of my most favorite things to do.”

Senior Vedika Aigalikar

Leah Graham
“I was at the gym and I was swimming. There was this other Indian guy and he was in his mid-twenties. He saw me working out and he called me over and he was like, ‘Hey, can you teach me what you’re doing here?’ But he was only speaking to me in Hindi. I was really confused because I didn’t know if he was talking to me at first. I actually teach swim, not at that center, somewhere else, and I explained that to him, like, ‘You can take lessons. There’s other places you can do this,’ but he was like, ‘No, I want to learn this right now.’ So I was like, ‘Okay.’ I gave him a couple tips and he kept trying to correct me as I was teaching. I’d be like, ‘Oh, you don’t want to have your fingers separated when you’re putting your hand in the pool,’ and he’s like, ‘No, I think that pulls the water more.’ I kept trying to leave the situation, but he started telling me all about his life, that he came here from India. He was like, ‘Are you also from India?’ And I was like, ‘No, I was born and brought up here.’ It was 20 minutes probably and I kept trying to leave, but he was like, ‘Just give me your contact info and we can meet up another time.’ I was like, ‘No, I don’t want to meet up. I want to leave.’ So I was getting out of the pool and he says, ‘So, same time tomorrow then?’ I told my mom about it and she said he was probably just trying to get free lessons. I think a lot of times when Indian people – because this happens to me a lot – I guess they think that we’re like automatically connected because we’re from the same place. I think it’s good that you have that connection, but also at times this is just really bizarre.”

Freshman Malakai Anderson

Leah Graham
“Probably finding out new things, that’s what I like to do. Biology is my favorite thing to learn about. I really like learning about life and different organisms around us. Questions like are viruses alive, those are my favorite kind of questions. I love to find out exactly what they mean, but even if you come up with your own answer it can still just be considered a theory or some form of fact. It is just really about how you interpret science.”

Freshman Liam Kelly

Leah Graham
“So I was walking into the store and I am walking past the cash register. I was going to get some cosmic brownies because I really like them, but walking in I saw this really old lady and she was making weird eye contact with me. When I go to check out all of the cash registers are filled except for hers, so I walk up into her lane and I put my stuff down and she starts asking me these really personal questions about my relationships with girls, like do I have a girlfriend, have I had a girlfriend before. Then she proceeds to almost flirt with me and it was really weird, so I just bought my brownies and left really, really fast.”

Senior Brandon Davis

Leah Graham
“At the beginning, I thought senior year was just going to be like every other year of school, but the more I got into it the more I realized I should probably take advantage of this last year, of all the stuff that I haven’t done. Everyone is getting really anxious about the last year of school. Everyone is moving away. They separate and they don’t really see each other again. Most people only have about two or three high school friends for their entire life. Most friends you make in college, so I wanted to experience some things with my friends now. Everyone gets really comfortable in school. You have school for 18 years of your life and then you’re expected to go out and be on your own the rest of your life. I was scared of leaving, but now as I get closer to the end of the year, I’m just like, ‘It’s okay to leave. Everyone will be just fine where they’re at.’”

Sophomore Zahra Ahmad

Leah Graham
“I basically grew up in Memphis, Tennessee, and then I moved here in third grade. I did come from the south, so there was that lingo difference. I didn’t know what pop was when I came here. I remember in fourth grade we could bring in a drink because we were watching a movie and my friend was like, ‘I brought some pop.’ She kept referring to it as pop. I had to straight up ask her, ‘What is pop? I don’t even know what that is.’ Then she told me, ‘It’s like Coke,’ and I was like, ‘Oh, soda.’”
Do you say pop or soda now?
“Soda, all the way. No, no pop. That’s not a thing.”

Junior Katherine Flemming

“You see pictures in NatGeo of nature and animals and everyone’s like, ‘Wow, that’s beautiful and I wish I was there.’ So it’s like, hey, what if I took that, y’know? Makes you feel like it’s real.”

Senior Kathleen Young

Leah Graham
“I was on vacation and there was this thing about beachside yoga, so I went down there by myself because nobody else woke up on time. I went downstairs and there was this old woman. She was also going to beachside yoga, but she didn’t know where to go so I was trying to help her and then we became friends. I saw her like every day for the rest of the vacation. Her name was Meredith.”

Freshmen Samantha Fisher and Julia Considine

SF: “Everything’s gonna have to do with softball because that’s all that’s been on our minds lately. When I batted yesterday, I stole and I was not supposed to, but I got it. I thought it was pretty genius.”
What do you hope to get done by your senior year?
JC: “Good grades.”
SF: “I just want a varsity jacket.”
JC: “Yeah, that too.”