The Chariot

Justice League Enters the Box Office

Fans see next DCU movie hit the big screen.

Peyton Downing, Source Editor

“Justice League” is the newest piece of the DC Comics Extended Universe, featuring a cast of multiple familiar comic book heroes. Among them are Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and more. The movie was released Nov. 17, and its arrival was anticipated by several DC fans.

“I’ve waited for it for a long time,” junior Jiwon Byun said. “‘Aquaman’ was announced in 2013, and I’ve been waiting since then.”

Directed by Zack Snyder, “Justice League” follows the events of “Batman vs. Superman.” The film’s core cast remains the same as “Batman vs. Superman,” but with a few additions. Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot all reprise their roles as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman respectively.

Three new heroes have been added to the cast: The Flash played by Ezra Miller, Aquaman played by Jason Momoa and Cyborg played by Ray Fisher. The three have yet to have their own standalone movies, but those have been scheduled to start production in coming years. The decision to add these heroes in has been met with general acceptance.

“They just started, so I think it was a good decision to add them in,” Byun said. “It’s them establishing their own universe ever since the new wave of DC movies.”

Byun said that since the new heroes are scheduled to get their own movies, this is the best way to introduce them to audiences. “Aquaman” is set to release in December of next year, with The Flash’s and Cyborg’s films coming in 2020.

“It’s a worthwhile risk to take,” senior Yunsoo Kim said.

Kim fears that DC will do little to improve upon the genre and simply do what Marvel has done, just with their own characters.

“The superhero genre is very formulaic at the moment and I’m afraid that ‘Justice League’ will follow it,” Kim said.

While “Justice League’s” prequel “Batman vs Superman” had a runtime of two hours and thirty-one minutes, “Justice League” falls short of the two hour mark, leaving some DC fans relieved.

“A lot of DC movies have gone over two hours and a lot of the plot in the middle was dragged on,” Byun said. “I feel that that’s a good decision for them to be more concise, so people are less bored in the movie.”

Kim has expressed a more neutral view on the run time.

“I think after a certain point, around two hours, run time doesn’t determine how well a director can portray their story,”  Kim said. “It just depends how the director can run it.”

While “Justice League” has received mixed reviews from critics, many DC fans are still optomistic about the film and look forward to seeing the new team hit theaters.

“Their success has grown exponentially,” said Byun. “They’re trying to establish their own reputation with this new universe.”