The Chariot

Mental Health Club is Created

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mental Health Club is Created

On April 11, Here4U hosted a guest lecture by University of Michigan psychiatrist Dr. Harry Rai.

Courtesy of TSD Board Trustee Karl Schmidt

New student club focuses on providing awareness and opportunity for students to address mental health concerns.

Following a model created by the University of Michigan’s Depression Center, social and emotional learning interventionist Mrs. Elizabeth Gumbis and social worker Mr. David Guzak started a club called Here4U. They started working on it in the fall of 2018 and just recently recruited some students to join. The purpose of the club is to help students address their mental health issues with activities and by creating peer-to-peer relationships.

“There’s a lot of evidence behind how peer-to-peer models work,” Gumbis said. “This year, our goal was just to get it off the ground. Just to create something required a lot of work and coordination.”

Here4U’s first major event to promote was a psychiatrist named Dr. Harry Raid, M.D. from the University of Michigan who spoke about mental health to students and parents. Gumbis thought bringing him in would be a good idea because mental health is affecting adolescents so much nowadays.

“The prevalence of these mental health challenges is really skyrocketing,” Gumbis said.

Senior Gabe Rabajoli first heard about the club when Gumbis called he and many other students into a meeting in the counseling office. Since then, Rabajoli got a Twitter account up and running @THSHere4U. He also went on a field trip with the club to Lake Orion to meet up with other schools’ versions of Here4U. Rabajoli thinks the Here4U club is important for spreading awareness about mental health.

“We already did some stuff in the past, but me personally, I don’t think it was enough,” he said.

Junior Molly Myers is also a member of Here4U. She thinks a lot of times mental health is brushed off as not as important, especially when compared to physical health.

“I think a lot of times what happens is that people ignore the pain that they feel emotionally or mentally, rather than it being something physical,” Myers said. I think leveling the playing field between mental health issues and physical health issues will really allow all students to come together and understand that these issues are important and that they affect our community.”