The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

In Double Time

Senior Emily Baek talks about her high school experiences as she heads to Brown University.
Ashley Park

As the end of the 2023-2024 school year approaches, senior Emily Baek looks back on embarrassing memories from freshman year. “I still have a sticky note taped to the wall above my desk that freshman-me wrote trying to manifest being in Symphony Orchestra, so it’s a weird but cool feeling to know I’m a section leader for the cellos now.”

But that’s not all. She has been part of countless other ensembles including the Detroit Symphony Youth Orchestra, the Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association All-State Orchestra and more. In addition to her high school career as a cellist, she has also been a part of the Troy Colt Bands as a member of the Color Guard. 

“Being in both band in Color Guard and orchestra as a cellist really defined my four years of high school for me. Running back and forth to manage them simultaneously was a lot at times, but in the end, so gratifying.” She continues, “Music has provided me with possibilities so sweet and formative beyond anything I could’ve ever possibly imagined. In fact, I had never imagined anything, yet it has given me everything and more.”

While music has been the highlight of her high school experience, Baek has many other interests as well. She will be heading to Brown University this upcoming fall and paving a new path for herself, “planning to study some combination of politics, philosophy and economics to theoretically prepare for law school.”

However, Baek has yet to decide where this new path would take her. “I like to read about global ethics, social norms, good governance, things like that. But then again, nothing’s set in stone. I’m also decently interested in cognitive science and math. I still have time to discover and decide. I’m not too worried. I’ll figure it out somewhere and sometime along the way.”

Baek, while excited to go to Brown University, says that it wasn’t her dream school; she doesn’t believe in having them. 

“I think the culture surrounding college admissions has distorted the point of college, that being for learning. I’m excited to go to Brown, obviously, but I know I’d love being at any other school, too. I’m grateful to even have the opportunity to pursue higher education in the first place.”

Before she sets off to the next step of her path, Baek shares her plans for the future.

“My goal for the summer before [college] is to just hold onto the present as long as it lasts, as trite as it sounds. To savor the fleeting feelings.” Baek continues, “As for college and beyond, I just hope that I don’t lose sight of who I am, to remain grounded and not get too wrapped up in work and all the worldly things.”

As Baek leaves Troy High School, she also leaves behind words of wisdom.“Simple kindness goes a much, much farther way than you might expect, or even realize.” She continues, “Know your limits. It’s not embarrassing to ask for help. Nothing is ever that serious.”