Students Gain Experience by Working Outside of School

Students have a lot to juggle: school, sports, extracurricular activities, a social life and even jobs. Many of them struggle to balance all of their responsibilities, but others have shown it to be possible. Studies from an article published by “Think Progress” show that almost 80 percent of students have a part time job during the school year.
Some working students focus on prioritizing their obligations or stay organized by keeping a planner to keep stress at a minimum.
“It can be stressful sometimes but I try to plan out my days when I know I will have time to work,” junior Daria Bradley said. “I will also try to get my homework done early when I know I will not have time later.”
Some students work longer hours than others. Those with heavier loads often do not have much time for personal relaxation.
“I get to pick my own hours so it is not so bad, but I have to go right after school so I do not have much time for myself,” Bradley said.
Many students start working so that they can have some spending money, but with the cost of college, having a job could really help.
“My hours fluctuate a lot, but I work around 20-25 hours a week, and the money’s good,” junior Allison Frey said. “It can be really difficult to balance school work, sleep and friends. Part of why I think this school year seems so hard is because I have an extra responsibility.”
Often, first time employees struggle to acclimate to the working environment. Eventually, many get into the swing of it.
“It was hard at first,” senior Charlie Douglas said. “But once you get used to the schedule it is not that hard to keep good time management.”
While many students work to make money, others, however, start working for their own personal reasons.
“I started working so I could get an experience in customer service and get a new feel for different jobs,” Douglas said. “I worked in the restaurant Camp Ticonderoga for a year and a half and I wanted to broaden my knowledge of different jobs, so then I switched to [working at] the Troy Community Center.”
As students, keeping a handle on things can be tough. Trying to balance what seems like twenty things at once can build up stress, but students have been able to find a middle ground and make it work. By finding work around Troy, students gain first-hand experience in addition to earning paychecks.

uidfbsuifb