School Sees Wave Of New Students

Students and faculty notice the large quantity of students who transferred because of the school’s sports, theatre and academics.

PHOTO BY LEAH GRAHAM

Junior Stefannie Savoy, who recently transferred to Troy for theatre after being homeschooled, rehearses for the Troy Theatre Ensemble’s production of “Who Am I This Time?”

Within the first few weeks of the new school year, many students and teachers have noticed the growing number of students in the classrooms and hallways, many complaining that the hallways and classrooms are becoming too crowded.

The current issue in the school is that alongside of the incoming freshmen, the school has also received a large number of transfer students this year.

In 2014, there were 135 transfer students. In 2015 there were 113. This year 99 students transferred.

The school receives transfer students for many different reasons, such as sports, arts or academic classes.

Junior Perry Winfree left his family this past summer in North Carolina and moved to the city of Troy, Michigan to play hockey on the Junior Grizzlies Elite Hockey Team.

“I transfered to play hockey,” Winfree said. “I am looking to play in college and so I figured if I moved up north I might get better exposure.”

The Junior Grizzlies are based out of Troy and they are known to have a highly ranked program and have put experienced hockey players out into college. The junior grizzlies are national champions and are currently striving to win nationals again this year.

Winfree decided to go to Troy High School and is currently living with a billet family while he plays in Troy. A billet family offers to house junior hockey players who leave home to join teams in other towns.

Students from across the country move to new cities to pursue sports and many live with billet families while doing so.

“I live right next to the school and my mom wanted me to go to public school to have a social life out of high school,” Winfree said. “I live with a billet family and my two brothers live back home. I have billet parents and a billet brother. I have to leave my family for nine months.”

Winfree hopes to go to Pennsylvania State University to pursue hockey.

“That is the goal,” Winfree said.

While some students come from other states, some transfer students are from nearby. Junior Stefannie Savoy lived in Detroit and was homeschooled for most of her life.

“I was homeschooled all throughout middle school, ninth and tenth grade,” Savoy said.

After hearing positive reviews of the Troy Theatre Ensemble and the school’s theatre classes, Savoy wanted acting and theatre experience.

“[I transferred] mainly because of the theatre program,” Savoy said. “I wanted more theatre. So many people were raving about it and [I wanted] to have the opportunity to do it during the day. There is also a great choir program and I am really liking it.”

Savoy said she is excited to be participating in the TTE fall production and hopes to do the spring musical as well.

“I am in the show ‘Who Am I This Time’ and I am playing Helene Shaw,” Savoy said.

This year, there are a lot of freshmen who have transferred into the Troy School District from other districts. Freshman Jason Loucks is one of many.

Loucks transferred to Troy High this year after moving from Clarkston School District. After spending a day at Troy High, he decided he wanted to transfer to the school.

“I decided to transfer to Troy because Troy seemed to have more academic oppourtunity,” Loucks said. “I like that Troy has a lot of clubs that I can join. Anything that I can think of, there is probably a club for it.”

Loucks wanted to participate in the Troy High arts programs and he recently audtioned for the school Acapella group and was one of 21 kids who made it.

“I’m participating in acapella currently,” Loucks said. “I was excited because I have never been in any choir or a cappella before. I am hoping to be a part of the musical.”

The school is still currently getting transfer students, and the number may rise significantly within the first few weeks of the new school year.

“My favorite thing about Troy High is their spirit,” Loucks said. “They always have something going on that will boost school spirit.”