Students Leave Campus for OTEC

Students gain professional experience during the school day working in various careers.

Students leave Troy High to go to OTEC.

Students who go to Oakland Schools Technical Campus get to work in professional settings. Many hope to get their hands on early training for the future. For example, culinary clusters work with food and cosmetology students with makeup and hair. Courses offered by OTEC include Biotechnology and Environmental Science, Cosmetology, Construction Technology, Culinary Arts/Hospitality, Engineering/Emerging Technology, Health Sciences, i Team (Information Technology, Entrepreneurship, Advanced Marketing) and Transportation Technology.

“I thought that I would get an edge on the industry of makeup by getting my cosmetology license early,” junior Katie Roberts said.

Roberts said she has liked working with hair, makeup and nails since she was a little girl.
Students who go to OTEC spend half the day at the Oakland campus and the other half at school. Many said they enjoy it because it lets them get out of the subjects they don’t want to do and focus on their other interests. OTEC also allows students to earn college credit and certification to finish programs as a post graduate. The second year is filled with advanced work, specialization and a certificate of completion.

Many students who decide to attend OTEC have specific goals in mind.
Junior Mackenzie Bachert is working toward her CNA (certified nursing assistant) in Health Science.
“In order to get into medical school, most schools require that you have a CNA,” Bachert said.
Though some OTEC students face an increased workload, many find the program can benefit performance in school.

“It has increased all my grades; I have all A’s now. It’s not as many classes as it would be if you weren’t taking it,” junior Skylar Carney said.

Many people said they chose to sign up for this program because it allows them to do things they enjoy. The students get to learn about potential careers in a professional setting.
“I like to cook a lot and I thought about it as my profession,” junior Lauren Carbon said.
This program is open to students in 10th and 11th grade to apply for a place in OTEC for the following school year.