Director’s Cut

Senior Danielle Nicholson will study screenwriting at Oakland University.

May 24, 2017

For senior Danielle Nicholson, it was difficult trying to balance being a kid and an adult during her senior year while also getting ready for college.
“There’s lots of stress about college- trying to balance between enjoying my last year of high school and trying to get ready for the professional world,” Nicholson said.
Nicholson’s love of film started in elementary school. She loved watching movies and knew even then that that’s what she wanted to do when she was older.
“I thought that maybe I should be a film critic when I grow up,” Nicholson said. “I didn’t think that I could actually make them.”
Nicholson has experimented with many different genres lately but said she really likes dark comedies.
“It’s interesting to me because it seems more original and creative,” Nicholson said. “It’s not someone just slipping and hurting themselves. There’s a lot of play on words.”
She first started making short films her sophomore year with her friend, Gerald Dasal.
“We just ran around a golf course with a camera and some really weird costume pieces,” Nicholson said. “Then about a year later he asked if I could write a short film. Neither of them were actually finished, but it was a really good start.”
She began to think about college later that year.
“I was watching a movie called ‘Supporting Characters,’” Nicholson said. “It was about two film editors, and midway through watching it I realized that I could actually have a career in that, so I started researching on how to get into the industry, and that led to film schools.”
Nicholson was accepted to Oakland University with a full scholarship and plans to study screenwriting. She said she will miss a few things about high school.
“[I’ll miss] the cushion of inspiration,” Nicholson said. “All of your teachers are really supportive, and you have all these open opportunities. I will miss having people around to check up on me. I’m going to have to learn to check up on myself.”
Nicholson has written and directed three original short films: “cooking by the book,” “little things” and “Running Late.”
Sophomore Laura Nicholas, a friend of Nicholson’s, starred in one of her short films.
“She’s an extremely creative person and has the most creative ideas,” Nicholas said. “She always loves to share them with me and I love to give her my feedback.”
Senior Caroline Nicholas, Laura Nicholas’ sister, also worked with Nicholson on a few of her short films and helped with special effects.
“They’re different,” she said. “They’re very well done and creative. It definitely takes a professional to do something like that.”
Nicholson’s advice for any aspiring filmmaker is to do research.
“Don’t have just a vague idea of what you want to do,” Nicholson said. “Do lots of research into the industry. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Try new things with your art.”

The Chariot • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Chariot
$150
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All The Chariot Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *