Looking Tu the Future

Kaila Tu looks toward attending the University of Michigan College of Engineering.

PHOTO COURTESY OF THE ORCHESTRA ASSOCIATION OF TROY HIGH

Tu plays with the bass section at a Symphony Orchestra concert.

Coming into Troy High, there are endless sports, clubs and classes to choose from. As a freshman, Kaila Tu took a class called CAD 1, which focused on engineering and mechanical drawings. Tu was interested in the robotics club but didn’t consider joining until both her CAD 1 teacher and father suggested that she should join, saying that robotics would be a great way to have fun and make friends. This choice led her to meet some of her closest friends and eventually get voted vice president her junior year.
Tu decided to further her education at the University of Michigan.
“It was kind of a no-brainer for me,” Tu said. “I only really applied to three colleges because U of M is in-state tuition and the College of Engineering is super good. It’s right in our backyard and you can’t beat that.”
She received the Regents scholarship for academic merit. Tu said her biggest accomplishment during high school was pushing herself so far with robotics.
“I had to help while I was already juggling three AP classes,” she said. “

It just teaches you a lot about working for something you really love, and then also making sure you keep everything else up, but it’s honestly such a rewarding experience.

— Kaila Tu

Her sister, sophomore Olivia Tu, is inspired by her goals and accomplishments.
“She’s hardworking. She’s always striving for the best,” Olivia said. “She’ll persevere through the hardest times.”
As Tu heads to college, she said she is more focused on her academic goals. She explained that she may not want to get involved with many extracurriculars because the engineering program is intense. However, robotics is a passion of hers, so she may look into the robotics organization on campus.

“I’m probably looking into industrial operations engineering, which is more of like systems management,” Tu said. “I was thinking maybe having a minor in entrepreneurship or business, but I’m just hoping to, once I get to college, explore and do some introductory classes.”
One of Tu’s biggest supporters is her dad, John Tu. He watched her grow throughout the years while coaching robotics.
“[I hope to see her] doing whatever she does in the future, not necessarily engineering, as long as she can help the society and help to solve tough scientific or social issues,” John said.