The Chariot

SI Muhammad Ali Legacy Award 2017

Jacob Sirhan, In-Depth Editor

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was awarded the Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award on Tuesday, Dec. 5. The award was presented by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, who supported Kaepernick’s actions to peacefully protest police brutality, at the 2017 Sportsperson of the Year Awards Show in New York City.

According to Sports Illustrated, the award “celebrate[s] individuals whose dedication to the ideals of sportsmanship has spanned decades and whose career in athletics has directly or indirectly impacted the world.”

Back in 2016, Kaepernick chose to kneel during the national anthem, which sparked controversy as well as similar protests by other NFL players.

“Thank you, Colin Kaepernick. Thank you for your selfless heart, and your conviction,” Knowles-Carter said in her presentation speech. “Thank you for your personal sacrifice. Colin took action with no fear of consequence or repercussion, only hope to change the world for the better; to change perception, to change the way we treat each other, especially people of color.”

Knowles-Carter brought the reason for Kaepernick’s protests to the forefront, as well, and attempted to clear things up for ill-informed watchers. “It’s been said that racism is so American that when we protest racism, some assume we’re protesting America,” Knowles-Carter said.

About the Writer
Jacob Sirhan, In-Depth Editor
Jacob Sirhan, senior, has natural stride length is five yards and can tongue-roll at a high C. As a member of Executive Board of Student Government, he single-handedly runs the entire school. He can often be found in Mrs. Parks's classroom, as she is his “home girl.” He is part of the TCMB Drumline, tech for theater, and has participated in Relay for Life for the past 7 years. He loves to yell at people and tell them they are incompetent. He is determined, innovative, and responsible. His motto is “if you don’t drop, go home”, and has a strong belief in the power of “Oppression Free Zones.”