Battle of the Smartphones

Students voice their opinions about the Apple iPhone’s new competitor: the Google Pixel, manufactured by Google.

According to Business Insider, the term “smartphone” was not commonly used until 1995. Today, new advancements are constantly being made from smart phones to virtual reality glasses. Known for its a search engine, Google made its own phone: the Google Pixel. Some Apple users believe that the new Google technology may have an impact on Apple’s sales.

“We’re investing more in marketing,” Google CEO Sundar Pichai said to Business Insider. “We’re launching in more countries. We’re offering these devices in more retailers. We’re seeing results. Pre-orders of Pixel on day one this year were more than double what they were last year.”

The new features on the Google Pixel include voice-activated selfies and the ability to securely connect to open wifi networks. According to Time Magazine, the Pixel’s camera has the Google Lens, a feature that can conjure information about real-world objects simply by pointing the phone’s camera at them.

Some students are looking forward to the new storage capacity of the Pixel.

“I feel like the new advancement of a phone not telling you you’re out of storage will be a big benefit,” junior Matthew Daschke said.

However, some students believe that the new features will not impact the new iPhones.

“I feel the new Google Pixel is new and innovative and will surely compete with the iPhone and Apple’s next generations of technology,” freshman Zavaar Shah said. “The Google Pixel will not drop sales of the [iPhone] X easily because they are both great new phones of today’s technology. Apple is a good company itself, but Google is just trying to compete more on the market and expand into new areas of sales.”

Since Apple’s release of the iPhone X on Nov. 3, the company has considered the X the future. Apple said that in 2007, when the first iPhone came out, it helped spur a revolution. New features on the iPhone X include the ability to talk or sing behind a 3D emoji that moves with their voice.

“In the end, it’s based off personal preference which device is better,” Shah said.