AP English Takes on Shakespeare

Amy Feldkamp’s and Laura Liamini’s senior AP English classes reenact the Shakesperean tragedies “Othello” and “The Tempest.”

Senior AP English classes acted out Shakespearean tragedies in the auditorium and in classrooms on Dec. 4. This project has been done numerous times throughout the years by students. English teachers Amy Feldkamp and Laura Liamini decided to put this assignment into the class curriculum. Feldkamp’s and Liamini’s classes performed “Othello” and “The Tempest,” respectively.

“Fortunately, this project was an idea hatched by previous 12 AP teachers, and I kind of took it and worked with it with ‘Othello,’ but it’s been around for a little bit,” Feldkamp said.

Although it has been around for a while, many students still seem to enjoy it. Senior Tessa Kaminski, one of Feldkamp’s students, enjoyed recreating the play.

“It was a lot of fun,” Kaminski said. “It helped us get a better understanding of the play because you can see how it’s acted out.”

The assignment was also popular amongst Liamini’s students. Senior Logan Smith said acting out “The Tempest” improved his learning experience.

“I love personalizing works of literature. It helps me understand it better and I love to act,” Smith said. “It’s a win-win.”

Not only do the students like the projects, the teachers do as well.

“I enjoy watching [my students] perform,” Feldkamp said. “I think they enjoy watching each other perform, especially because they’ve read the play and now they know their acts so well.”

Many of Feldkamp’s students also love the way she teaches the play.

“I think she’s an amazing teacher,” senior Sandie Quinn said. “She’s really charismatic and knows how to get us to get engaged in what we’re learning.”

Liamini’s Shakespearean curriculum is favored by many students as well.

“Being in AP English means that we are constantly being challenged academically, so Mrs. Liamini wanted to give us a break and try to make ‘The Tempest’ fun for us,” Smith said.