Don’t Rush Into Things

To rush or not to rush: the question circulating around some graduating seniors’ minds as college move-in days approach. Although rushing seems appealing, it is not all boomerangs and matching shirts. Rushing poses unruly costs, potentially dangerous environments and a scary hazard: hazing. Sororities and fraternities are not as glamorous as movies show them to be and can either be a positive experience or put a serious damper on your college years.

To begin, Greek life is not cheap. Though costs vary from campus to campus, Michigan State University charges between $858 to $1,583 per semester for new members without housing according to class of 2016 alumna and Michigan State University Alpha Xi Delta member Maddie Falk. On top of that, there are pledging fees, social expenses and housing costs to handle increased expenses. The costs of living in the house ranges from $3,344.50 to $6,450. Considering the costs of “sisterhood” coupled with tuition, rushing can be the decision that leaves you with empty pockets and even potential debt.

While holding the promise of meeting sisters and brothers who will potentially reminisce on your best years together at your wedding one day, Greek life comes with many potentially harmful environments. Studies by the National Bureau of Economic Research and the National Center for Biotechnology Information have both shown that students involved in fraternities and sororities are more likely to drink heavily than students who do not participate in Greek Life. Fraternity parties are one situation that often appear in movies as the place to be. Although they may seem like fun, they often are the hub for alcohol-induced mistakes.

In 2013, three sexual assaults were reported at one Texas fraternity within just one month. I recently watched the movie “The Hunting Ground” regarding sexual assault on college campuses and then read all about the sexual assault scandals at MSU and got scared to leave my house let alone put myself up against the odds that women in sororities are 74% more likely to experience rape than other women in college according to the Guardian.

Michigan colleges are certainly not immune to bad publicity. The Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity at the University of Michigan took partying a bit too far when they caused roughly $100,000 worth of damage at a northern Michigan ski resort in 2015. The damage-filled rampage caused a legal battle that lasted years along with the disbanding of the SMU chapter at the university.

Regarding legal battles, hazing—the Greek life tradition defined by Merriam-Webster as “an initiation process involving harassment”—seems to be the brand of chapters across the country. Although hazing is a one-time event as a pledge, it is the most out-of-hand element of sororities and fraternities collectively. With over 20 hazing-related deaths since 2010, horror stories of hazing seem to haunt me as I ponder my plans for my upcoming year as a freshman at Michigan State University. The lengths some chapters will go to appear as the most intense and exclusive sorority and fraternity is appalling and frankly dangerous. Although harassment is illegal, the secret traditions are passed down from brother to brother and sister to sister.

“I think what’s scary is how far some people have taken [hazing],” senior Emily Davis said. “Last year, Greek life [was] shut down at multiple universities. Otherwise I’m really not that worried about hazing for sororities. It’s nothing compared to the frats.”

Personally, the “initiation” necessary to get you into something you are already paying for that is supposed to be a candid group of sisters or brothers seems just ridiculous and unnecessary.
But the possiblity of finding like-minded people is one of the appeals of Greek life. Many dream of finding this in college. Greek life seems to deliver that desire for Falk.

“I have had many amazing experiences through Greek life such as making amazing friends, participating in frat philanthropy events and participating in my own philanthropy events,” Falk said. “We also have sisterhood events which have helped me to grow close with other girls in the house including movie nights, potting our own succulents, etc.”

All in all, how you spend your college years are yours to decide, whether it be playing on the softball team, working at the campus radio or becoming the newest pledge of Kappa Sigma. The most you can do is consider the options, the benefits, the cons and be careful to not rush into things.