Students Vote For The First Time

Seniors who are over 18 and registered to vote prepare for the upcoming Nov. 6 midterm election and utilize the resources teachers provide.

On Nov. 6, Michigan voters will head to the polls to vote for new government officials. For most, it won’t be their first time going to the polls, but for a few people—more specifically some students—it will be their first time voting.

“I registered to vote on Sept. 26 and I’m pretty excited,” senior Luke Kozlowski said.

There are a lot of candidates in the midterm election. Each candidate has their own views and opinions that voters may choose to catch up on before voting.

“I’m not quite caught up yet on all the candidates and their views,” Kozlowski said.

Kozlowski agreed that it will come with time considering elections aren’t until November.

There are different opinions on why people vote: they feel like they have to, they strongly agree with a candidate or they simply want to. Kozlowski feels that it is especially important that young people have their voices heard.

“The U.S. had really low turnout in midterms and in regular elections [in the past],” Kozlowski said. “I feel like all young people who have the opportunity to vote should vote.”

Senior Adam Diri says he will vote because he wants to change the political scene.

“I’m voting because I don’t really like how the political landscape looks currently,” Diri said. “I want to have an influence on our political course and to try to make an impact.”

Diri recently registered to vote, but he kept up to date on most of the candidates and their political views before registering. He feels that he is ready to vote in November.

“I’m excited to vote,” Diri said. “I’m really looking forward to it.”

First time voters won’t be going into the voting process completely blind. Some teachers are trying to help new voters along by explaining the process to them.

“Every election, I encourage my students to vote,” government teacher Ryan Werenka said. “I try to make an emphasis on registering and how easy it is and how to do it.”

Werenka brought in the city clerk to show his senior students how easy registering can be.

“All the issues these young people are voting for will be affecting them in the future, so it’s important that they vote,” Werenka said.