The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

A New Fluffy Staff Member

A new member of Troy High School’s counseling team.
Bushra Mohammed

This 2023-24 school year, there is a new therapy dog roaming the halls of Troy High School. Students and staff welcome him with open arms. Oliver Allgier Craft is one of the newest staff members joining this school year, but he is no stranger among the staff and students.  Oliver is one of Jesse Allgeier, Troy High School counselor, family dogs. Before becoming an official staff member, Oliver used to come to work with Allgeier on some occasions. As more people got to know him, they wanted to see him more. This prompted Allgeier to talk to Troy High School administrators.

“I used to bring him on teacher days and over the summer,” Allgeier said. “People got to know him more and I finally had a conversation with our administration and we decided to have him come around more often.”

They made the decision that Oliver would become a new member of the counseling team as an official therapy dog. When asked about his purpose at Troy High School, Allgeier said he is meant to help students cope with stress and bring joy to others. Students can come down and see him in the counseling office if they are experiencing a bad day or need some sort of comfort. 

“Vast majority of students light up, smile ear to ear. There is a real connection between humans and animals. They bring comfort and joy,” Allgeier said. “I have students say to me about having such a bad day, but seeing Oliver made their day. It’s wonderful to see the joy he can bring.”

Oliver is at Troy High School once a week, usually on Fridays. People can find him roaming the halls, in classrooms, the counseling office or outside during dismissal. Teachers can request for him to visit certain classrooms and see students. Oliver spends some of his time at school in the counseling office, creating all sorts of shenanigans and lounging next to Allgeier’s desk. After school, people can expect him to be in important meetings with the principal and school administrators. 

Oliver is not a certified therapy dog, with a formal license, but he is very affectionate and well-mannered. To be certified, dogs have to go through a program that can enhance their socializing skills and give them proper training. When asked about Oliver’s therapy license, Allgeier said she has not had enough time to get him through a program. 

“I am acutely aware, but he is a very very mild-mannered dog,” Allgeier explained. “So I have no worries about him, but I looked at him going through the Fur Angels, which is the program where we get our other dogs that come every Thursday. I haven’t been able to get him through that program.”

Regardless of his training, Oliver is a very affectionate dog and enjoys spending time with people. He likes going on hikes and walks outside, running around and roaming free. 

“He loves to be petted and be with people. I will welcome anyone who wants to come down anytime when they want to see him,” Allgeier said. 

Oliver can be found wandering the halls or in classrooms, bringing joy to students and staff at Troy High School. When Oliver was asked for an interview, he chose not to comment.