The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

Announcing Alfonsi

A look into new Troy High School English teacher, Taylor Alfonsi.
Announcing+Alfonsi
Nidhi Kuchulakanti

In the 2023-2024 school year at Troy High School, a total of 16 new staff members have joined the school’s team. These new teachers spread over numerous education departments, but one notable staff member is English teacher Taylor Alfonsi. Alfonsi has recently joined the school’s team full-time after student teaching for English teacher Lisa Knudson in the 2021-2022 school year. 

When asked about her experience so far with the school, Alfonsi stated, “I just really appreciate the students here a ton and the staff members. There’s just an air of passion in these halls, and I really appreciate that.” 

Although her time with the school so far has been quite short, Alfonsi is beaming about the staff members, students and curriculum. She strongly emphasizes that the welcoming and generous attitudes from the majority of Troy High School members have given her a great experience at the school. 

While the 2023-2024 school year is Alfonsi’s second year fully working with Troy High School, she withholds a plethora of teaching experience prior to working here. Alfonsi was previously a teacher at Fraser High School. Additionally, she has recently received her Master’s Degree in Education at Western Governors University over the summer. Prior to that, Alfonsi attended Oakland University for four years in which she received her Bachelor’s Degree in Education. 

When asked how she feels about majoring in Education, Alfonsi provided her insight. “I’m really happy. I like helping and supporting kids who may not talk as much. This is such a rewarding field.”

However, the Education department wasn’t always Alfonsi’s first choice. Although she is immensely content with her decision, Alfonsi was originally thinking of being a dental hygienist in her high school years. She states that what got her into thinking about being an Education major was her continuous love for writing books and her high school English classes.

“I guess my dream job as a kid was always to become an author, but that’s so far-fetched so I did what I could do, and I really love teaching.”

Alfonsi’s also mentions how she likes helping her students write while simultaneously pursuing what she loves in reading and writing as that helps her with her own aspirations. 

Outside of school, Alfonsi has a myriad of hobbies. In her free time, Alfonsi has stated that she likes to go camping with her family, reciting poetry and she loves exploring the art of writing books. As Alfonsi’s interests align with the subject of what she teaches, she expresses that she is immensely joyous and excited for the upcoming school year.