The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

Big Changes for Brennan

An inside look on Kerry Brennan’s switch from a science teacher to an Assistant Principal.
Lindsay Burke

Sitting in an empty classroom inside Smith Middle School, staring at a Zoom screen, Kerry Brennan, Troy High School’s brand new Assistant Principal realized she needed a change. “During the pandemic, I realized that the biggest thing for me about being a teacher was the connections that I made with students.” 

Brennan expressed how the pandemic helped her understand the real reason she became a teacher: to form bonds with students to encourage their growth. “It was always about student  connections and making those with kids.” For both students and teachers it can be said that the pandemic put a strain on the learning process, kids lost interest and it was harder for teachers to inspire them to keep going. 

At Smith Middle School and Wattles Elementary School, Mrs. Brennan was known for many things, including her cow-themed classroom and memory of every past student.  No matter how much time has passed, this still holds true. “It’s been great seeing kids I spent three years with in middle school or in elementary school and seeing them grow up.” Brennan says. She prides herself on the basis that she remembers all of her old students and encourages them to stop by and say hi. 

Brennan is bringing not only positive energy to Troy High School, but also improving the faculty shoe collection. On a lucky day,  all four principals and even Athletic Coordinator Shane Hynes wearing matching Nike Dunks with ‘Colts’ embossed on the heel. Brennan explained that while online shoe-shopping in Assistant Principal Melissa Curth’s office, Principal Remo Roncone expressed his interest in wanting a pair of Troy High School-colored sneakers. “Say less. We can customize some shoes on Nike so we sat down and within 20 minutes we had the design. The five of us including Mr. Hynes bought them.” Brennan said.

One month later and all of the administration is rocking their new kicks. “Mr. Roncone’s favorite thing to say is they we’re sole mates.” Brennan tells us. This is just one aspect that shows the student body and Troy High School community how close-knit the faculty is and the dedication they have to the students and making them smile; especially if they look good while doing it.

Many beneficial things have come with the new opportunity presented to Brennan, but with the positives of the new job also come the negatives. Brennan expressed how the responsibilities that come with her new title challenge the way she thinks. “The tougher conversations are around students that are making poor decisions, and if those situations were in my own classroom that’s something that I would have already known.” Brennen said. Kerry Brennan now knows that the harder conversations become harder because the student-faculty relationship has yet to be formed. 

Brennan strives to make connections with students before they are in her office; to get to know them before she has to have tougher conversations with them. “I’m trying to build up students after they make the wrong decision by showing that I support them and I care about them and I’m not judging anybody.” Brennan said she wants students to know that she is there for them. 

All in all, Kerry Brennan is both excited and grateful to be a part of the Troy High School community. She shares one inspirational quote to uplift the school: “Live, laugh, love Troy High.”