The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

Out with the Old, In with the New

A look into the new study area at the Troy Public Library that is coming soon.
Michelle Baik

The Troy Public Library is currently renovating the quiet study area in the adult section of the library. The library is filled with books for all ages to enjoy, hosts events year-round and is a space for community gatherings. For Troy High School students especially, the study area in the adult section has been used on various occasions, especially during seasons of testing and finals. Recently, the Troy Public Library has announced that they will be renovating this area. 

Philip Kwik, the assistant director of the Troy Public Library, states that “the new study area will be a great addition to the library. It is modern in look and design, is technology appropriate, and can handle both individual study and small, quiet collaboration.”

In the past, the study area consisted of plastic tables surrounded by chairs with wheels. Senior Eredge Najam, a frequent visitor of the Troy Public Library, details changes that she would like to see. She states, “Honestly, I have always disliked the study area. I found it to be uncomfortable and cold. I think that a lot of the furniture is kind of outdated, but I still go a lot because it is a nice quiet environment.” 

Kwik discusses how this plan to upgrade this area has been in the works for a very long time. “Unfortunately, for the past 10 years, the library budget did not allow for such a renovation project. When the new library millage passed in November 2020, we knew that we needed to update our study areas,” he states. “There has always been a big demand for more quiet study and work space.”

Currently, the study space is closed as renovations are taking place. The new quiet study area will feature ceiling mounted screens, study carrels, focus nooks, booths and more. This new area is planned to open once again to the public sometime at the end of October or early November. 

When asked about how she feels about the renovations, Najam stated, “I’m really excited to see the new additions and fulfill my study needs. I really like how there is a variety of comfortable and accessible seating so that I can work in different places depending on what I’m studying for.”

Studiers and staff are both excited for the new space. As Emily Dumas, the library director of the Troy Public Library, states, “Working with the space we have, I think the new study space is the best possible solution for creating a dedicated area for students to have a quiet and flexible place to work and think. I’m very excited to roll it out!”