The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Cultural Show That Once Was

What happened to Troy High School’s annual cultural show?
Grace Haugk

The smell of Khoresh Fresenjan and Kimbap fill the hallways. Above conversations muffled by the sounds of Bollywood fusion, students are able to learn about different religions and cultures from their peers. Troy High School’s annual cultural show was diverse and filled with people who were passionate about their culture. So what happened to it?

The cultural show was an opportunity for students at Troy High School to share their ethnic culture. Different clubs and minorities such as the Muslim Student Association and Korean-American students would contribute to the event by sharing their food, religions, traditions and dances. Although the school hasn’t had a cultural show in five years, Ashmi Ranjan, Co-President of Troy Athens High School’s Social Justice Project, helps run a similar event called the Ethnic Fair at their school. 

“It’s a big event where people from Athens can have items from their culture and food is the biggest part of it, and then there is a performance. We have a fashion show and anybody who wants to do a dance can sign up.” Unlike the cultural show, the Ethnic Fair has been a staple at the school for decades. “It’s a well known event at [Troy Athens High School] and we always have attendance in the 300-400s so it’s a lot of fun.” 

In a school where the minority rate is 56% according to U.S News & World Report, an event where everyone can share their own cultures to their peers while also being educated on others seems reasonable. Where did this culture show go? 

Troy High School counselor Jesse Allgeier, the former advisor of the now-disbanded Social Justice Project. “I was very passionate about the club. We accomplished many great things.” In addition to educating students on racism, the Social Justice Project hosted the school’s cultural show. “It was an amazing way for Troy High students to share their identity to others who also had something to share.” 

The Social Justice Project consisted of students at Troy High School and focused on inclusion and educating peers on diversity. “We would go to our middle schools and put on skits on examples of racism and intolerance.” Allgeier adds. 

Although Allgeier had a passion for this organization, it eventually had to come to an end in 2017 due to her being busy with her other responsibilities. Troy High School’s Social Justice Project Club was mainly run by adults who advised the club, like Allgeier herself. Troy Athens High School’s Social Justice Project Club and Ethnic Fair is mostly ran by students who are part of the club or anyone who wants to contribute to the fair

“I had so many other things to handle. I was a single mom and I was also a counselor responsible for hundreds of students.” 

Mburu Karimi, a senior and President of Troy High School’s Black Student Union, has positive feelings towards the Ethnic Fair. “I think bringing back the Ethnic Fair would be great. My club would be able to participate by sharing African-American culture as well as African culture since there are people in the club that represent both.” 

Ranjan later added, “Kids are definitely academically-focused and they really care about doing well in their classes and being successful outside of high school, but students also prioritize community and doing things that aren’t related to their academic success because school can get so stressful and you can get so tunnel visioned and forget that you’re also trying to live a life at the same time and you’re not just a student. You’re also a friend and a real person with interests outside of school.”