The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

A Look Into the Winter Captains

Features on a few 2023-2024 school year winter sports captains.
Mehe

As the fall sports season at Troy High School has come to an end for the 2023-2024 school year, the winter season has opened for many sports. Synchronized swimming, hockey and many more sports are in session for this school year. 

Synchronized Swimming

Junior Ana Sofia Hernandez Gomez, captain of the synchronized swimming team, has been swimming for eight years. When Gomez was awarded captain of the team she felt nervous. She wanted to make sure that she included everybody on the team as a new captain and that her season wouldn’t suffer from any complications.When asked about what made her want to try Synchronized Swimming, Gomez replied, “I started the sport because I was kind of tired of swimming. It felt boring and I wanted to try something new and more challenging so I joined synchro.”

This year, Gomez shared, “My goals for the team is to get first at States and reclaim our trophy.” As a captain, she hopes to make the season enjoyable to create a more united team.

Gomez shared that, “As long as we keep our effort up and create a good team environment, it will only be a matter of time before we start getting the results we want and beat our opponents.”

Troy United Girls Hockey Team

Senior Shaelyn Pettinga, a captain of the Troy United girls hockey team, started playing hockey in her freshman year.

Pettinga started playing hockey during freshman year. “On the first day of skating, it was a welcoming environment and that is what gets me to do stuff. Everyone was really supportive of each other as a community.”  

When Pettinga was given the role as a captain for the hockey team, she felt “really special to be a captain because that means that you get a special role and you proved to the team that you have good leadership skills, so it is really important. I also feel valued in a way being a captain for the team.”

Boys Swimming

Senior Andrew Meng, captain of the boys swimming team at Troy High School has been swimming for 11 years and has swam for the school team all throughout his high school. Meng’s performance goals for this year’s boys swimming season is to win more meets this year.

Meng shared that he is excited to be a captain of the team this year. “It was pretty exciting to be able to step up into a role that I have seen upperclassmen do before me and lead the team to victory.”

“After I did some swimming lessons and found out that I was good at it, it made me want to continue the sport,” Meng commented on his passion for swimming.