The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

Holly Jolly Trader Joe’s Review

A detailed review of some Trader Joe’s new holiday items.

As the clock hits midnight on Nov. 1, it is only right to immediately switch into the holiday mode. Trader Joe’s seems to be on the same page with the release of their holiday items in stores. I will be reviewing a variety of holiday products with my professional opinion. Special thanks to my mom’s credit card for making this happen.

Michelle Baik

Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe-Joe’s

The traditional Joe-Joe’s get a holiday makeover with a combination of dark chocolate and peppermint. In an interesting twist, these cookies taste surprisingly similar to Thin Mints, a classic Girl Scout’s delicacy. The cookie inside is still very crunchy and not soggy at all, making it the perfect holiday treat. I would give this item a 12/10.

Michelle Baik

Candy Cane Chocolate Covered Almonds

These almonds are coated in dark chocolate, white chocolate and candy cane bits. The perfect level of sweetness makes this a perfect bite-sized holiday grab-and-go snack. These remind me of peppermint bark on almonds and I give them a 7/10.

Jingle Jangle Pretzel Twists

These TikTok-famous pretzel twists did not live up to the hype. The peanut butter coated pretzel that is covered with dark chocolate gems and Joe-Joe’s cookie bits seemed to be just that. The combination of these delicious snacks did not create anything new and lacked a festive flair. I would give them a 5/10.

Michelle Baik

Eggnog Greek Yogurt 

As someone who has never tried eggnog before, this yogurt was a pleasant surprise. It has a very creamy consistency and is sweet and rich with just a hint of warm spice that elevates the flavor. Unfortunately, it does contain whole milk, which is bad news for my lactose intolerant friends. If you’ve never had eggnog before, it tastes similar to a custard or melted vanilla ice cream. I would definitely buy it again, so I give it a 10/10.

Michelle baik

Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Stirring Spoon 

Hot cocoa is a staple in holiday treats. This hot cocoa stirring spoon takes the idea of hot cocoa to a whole new level. This innovative idea allows for single serving hot cocoas without the mess of the powder and measuring cups. Simply place the spoon into a mug of warm milk and enjoy your salted caramel hot cocoa. I used almond milk which definitely cut the sweetness. The marshmallows shrunk within the warm hot cocoa and the flavor of this drink was just alright. This item comes with the experience, but I don’t think that I will buy this again. I give this a 6/10.

Gingerbread Cake & Cookie Mix 

Be warned: the ginger aspect of this mix should not be taken lightly. The recipe was simple and straight-forward, even giving you the choice between making a gingerbread cake or cookies. With only an egg and stick of butter, I quickly whipped up a batch of these cookies. The first bite of this cookie could only be described as gingery. The texture was very chewy and, although I got used to the flavor, it is still an acquired taste. But with the easy recipe and complex taste, I give this mix a 8/10.