The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

First Date Ideas

Here are my recommendations for first dates as someone who has never been on one.

February is a great time to finally ask that person out. Here are some non-basic first date ideas to hopefully secure that second date.

Michelle Baik

1: LOVE ON WHEELS: SKATING

Although this one is controversial as some might consider it to be embarrassing, I think that it could work depending on the person. If you’re someone that doesn’t get embarrassed easily and finds situations like falling straight on your butt funny, I think that this first date idea is perfect for you. If you are experienced at skating, you can help your date while making funny jokes. If you aren’t experienced, your date can teach you. If you’re both inexperienced, I think that it’s even more fun because you’ll both be figuring it out together. 

Michelle Baik

2: LOVE ALL: TENNIS/RACQUETBALL

While the weather might not be so great right now for playing these sports outdoors, there are many great indoor facilities like Lifetime or Troy Racquet Club. These sports in particular are rather easy to pick up and fun to play, even for beginners. If you and your date have different skill levels, playing these sports also welcomes playful banter and makes for a good time.

3: STEPS TOWARD A SCENIC ROMANCE: HIKING

If you are someone that is outdoorsy, this is a great option for you and your date. A hike has a great duration and it allows for something else to be happening while you converse with your date and get to know them more. It can also create a lot of great conversation starters, like people you see along the way or the nature around you. 

4: PUTTING LOVE ON PAR: MINI GOLF

A classic idea is mini golf. Mini golf is also rather easy to pick up and it creates a fun, competitive atmosphere. It’s also an activity in close proximity to one another unlike tennis and pickleball, which could be an added bonus since you can actually have a conversation with your date while playing. I think that this is a great idea to ease the awkwardness of a first date.

Michelle Baik

5: BOOKS ‘N LOOKS: STUDY DATE 

Something that is more doable and casual for students is a simple study date at a nearby cafè. You can talk about school, classes and teachers while getting to know your date and getting some work done, too. I think that this is a great way to test the waters and keep it casual for a first date.

Michelle Baik

6: GET CAKED UP: COOKING/BAKING

An idea for people who like to cook or bake is taking a cooking or baking class with your date. Although it makes your date less private, I think that this is still a great way to ease the awkwardness of  a first date while actually having fun. It also includes an exciting atmosphere and an activity that can split your attention so it’s not just solely you and your date, which can feel awkward and intense.

Michelle Baik

7: THROWN TOGETHER: POTTERY/PAINTING 

I’ve saved the best for last. My absolute favorite first date idea is taking a pottery-making or painting class. Not only is it somewhat trendy, it is also partially intimate which means that you can get to know your date one-on-one without just talking to them. Pottery-making and painting can help keep the conversation flowing since you can comment on each other’s designs, whether it be compliments or playful insults, as you go. Also, you can keep your final results as a memento of your first date. This is a really fun activity and I think that it also makes the perfect first date idea.

Whether it’s an outdoor activity or something cozy inside, there is something for everyone in this article. Have a special and memorable first date!