The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

A Builder’s Guidebook

A digest of Troy’s zoning ordinance.
Photo courtesy of WeaponizingArchitecture

Disclaimer: This article provides a general overview of the zoning process in Troy. Consult a lawyer before taking any action.

Troy has been around since the early 1800s, officially becoming a city in 1955. In all that time, so much has been built. Troy is home to at least 87,000 people, as of 2020. It’s also home to several businesses, including the major complex that is Somerset Collection. But before anything happens, property developers must obtain a zoning permit. Zoning is the process of obtaining permission from the government to change the type of property, such as multi family residence, single family residence, commercial building and many other types. But with the City of Troy zoning ordinance being 349 pages long, one could find it tedious to ensure compliance. However, the city tries to digest the application process into five short steps.

1. Make sure you have any other permits necessary.

If you are working on water lines, plumbing, siding or other specialty work, you may be subject to additional permits. For example, to run a new connection to the city sewer system, a permit has to be submitted to the Troy Water and Sewer Department. Electrical work will have to be approved by the Department for Code Enforcement to ensure compliance with electrical and fire codes.

2. Plot out what is going to be built or demolished.

Detailed prints must be submitted for what work is going to be done. Details on accommodation for any equipment, as well as how other buildings are going to be affected, must be included. This helps ensure that any dangerous action can be mitigated.

3. Plot out your floor plans.

Submit a complete floor plan of the current building. There are professional services that do this. Separate prints for electrical, plumbing and telecom should also be provided. Separate prints for each floor should be provided. This helps reviewers understand the current layout and design of the building.

4. Be in compliance with Michigan energy requirements.

A completed Michigan Energy Code Worksheet must be included. This worksheet includes details on the heat conservation of the building. Poor insulation can result in higher heat costs and decreased efficiency of the heating and cooling systems. Poorly insulated walls, poorly planned attics and thin windows can result in poor heat conservation throughout the building. The worksheet can be found here.

5. Submit!

Package all of the items together and send them to the zoning office. It would be wise to consult a property development specialist and the City Clerk’s office before submitting, to ensure that everything is complete. Incomplete applications are likely to be rejected.

6. Wait until the commission convenes.

Wait until the next zoning board meeting. You should get notified as to when the zoning board will meet or if they require any additional information. On the date of your meeting, come prepared with any additional information you think would be handy. If your application gets approved, post your permit in a conspicuous place.

Happy building!