The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

One for the Polls, Two for the Votes

An inside look at the stance Taylor Swift has on politics and if her fans stand with or against her.
Grace Haugk

Celebrity influence in politics has always been a widely debated topic; some welcome the viewpoints of these well-known citizens while others oppose it altogether. Individuals may stand with a favorite celebrity, or they may wish they would stick to what they are good at and stay out of politics. Either way, they have made their way into politics and they don’t seem to be leaving anytime soon.

Back in 2020, when Taylor Swift released her documentary “Miss Americana,” her political views first made their debut with the public. Since then, her thoughts have gathered quite the following. Swift has always received backlash and more so for her political opinions, but she has also helped increase the following for certain candidates based on her endorsement. In past years, she has stayed silent, ensuring people look to their own opinions or those of other celebrities. However, with her newfound outspokenness, she has brought in many more votes for the candidates she supports. During the 2020 presidential election, she endorsed President Joe Biden. It is uncertain yet if she will endorse him again this year. Even if she does, will it have the same effect it did in 2020? 

Senior McKenna Baxter believes that celebrities should stay out of politics altogether. “You should just stick to what your thing is.” 

Swift has one of the biggest fan bases in the world. There are plenty of fans who would go far enough to vote for who she votes for or against purely because of her influence. When asked if Baxter would vote opposite of who Swift endorses, she said she could potentially make that decision. “I don’t think my whole reason would be purposely out of spite. I would want to make an informed vote,” Baxter says. The difference between Baxter and some others is that many people might not feel inclined to do research when they could just say they voted for who Swift endorses simply because they enjoy her music.

However, celebrities in politics could provide a long list of benefits. Senior Allison Giroux says she admires Swift’s well-known thoughts on politics and the information she shares on the topic. “I think it’s extremely admirable that she uses her platform to inform her followers, even if she knows she could receive backlash from it.”

Some good that Swift brings to the polls is a spike in voter registration. On Sept. 19, 2023, Swift posted a short message to her 282 million Instagram followers encouraging them to vote. Ever since that post, a whopping 35,252 new voters registered on Nation Voter Registration Day, which was significantly more than in past years since 2020, the amount of voters to register jumped 23%. The number of 18-year-olds who registered to vote almost doubled in 2023 after the 2022 election. 

Whether Swift is encouraging her fans to vote in general or to vote for who she endorses is still up for debate. However, the increase in voters definitely will bring some long-lasting benefits, such as a jump in more young voters registering to vote, instead of thinking their vote won’t affect the outcome all that much.

Celebrities in politics generally haven’t mixed very well in the past. Whether it’s the year of Donald Trump’s “Make America Great Again,” Biden’s “Finish the Job” or Nikki Haley’s “Make America Normal Again,” celebrities have influenced us both in positive and negative ways. They have also shed some light on politics and the benefits of voting, besides just the ‘I Voted’ sticker.