The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

Kate’s Korner

Kate tackles the Class of 2024’s book recommendations.
The official cover for “Little Women” (2014). PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Little Women by: Louisa May Alcott

Wow. Okay. This was so good, but I was so confused. While it may seem confusing in the first few chapters, as there is not a real “storyline” in the first chapters as much as other books. Slowly, you get used to the characters, style, etc. Only thing is, some of the plot points are a bit strange, but overall, really good. I personally think that this is probably best for young girls and feminists. I really loved Meg’s character and she even reminded me of myself. Anyway, this book was fantastic and fun to read. It was confusing at times but I loved reading it.

8.5/10.

The official cover for “The Great Gatsby” (1925). PUBLIC DOMAIN.

The Great Gatsby by: F. Scott Fitzgerald 

WOW. I mean… WOW. I was actually quite shocked reading this because I was dreading reading it, but it was downright magical. The romance, the history and don’t forget the sarcastic wittiness of the main character, Jay Gatsby. I honestly loved how the book ended, no spoilers obviously, but it made my heart happy along with the love interest and how they both pursued each other. It was wholesome and cute to read. Anyway, this book was super cute and historically accurate with romance touches everywhere, making this book one of my new favorites. It’s totally up there in my top ten. 

10/10

The official cover for “Pride and Prejudice” (2011). PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Pride and Prejudice by: Jane Austen

I need Mr. Darcy right now. Don’t play with me. BUT WOW. OH MY GOSH. This book had me gripped to my seat. Don’t even, guys. After reading this book I made the personal conclusion that Jane Austen, as a feminist writer, showed the power of women’s will with the character of Lizzie. The author really showed the sides of feminism in this book which I loved! I love that one of the key aspects of this book is the main character Elizabeth making choices about her love life, even though she has been thinking about everyone else. She doesn’t let them bully her into changing, which I love because most girls in books fall easily to that, but she didn’t. The frantic attitude of her mother, while so frustrating in the novel, doesn’t change her mind about Mr. Collins or about Mr. Darcy. Elizabeth makes her own decisions and is empowered by them, which shows the empowerment of women WHICH I ABSOLUTELY ADORE.

100/10

The official cover for “Lord of the Flies” (2011). PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Lord of the Flies by: William Golding 

This book was BEYOND boring. I’m sorry. I fell asleep multiple times reading it. It was just a bad piece of fiction. Poorly developed copy-and-paste characters, way too much description on the most random and unimportant things and the author took a billion years to actually get an interesting plot line rolling. Nothing good actually happens until around chapter eight. I’m guessing this is because of poor or messed up plot line planning that stemmed from the author spending too much time on symbolism; because, dang, he really loves his symbolism. It also made me cry which I did not appreciate because what the heck. Lastly, everything was so underdeveloped and hard to follow. How did none of the boys acknowledge the fact that they just crash landed and that they should look for their parents? How are none of them not even seemingly traumatized by the experience?  Why does the author spend three-quarters of the book world-building a setting that doesn’t even have a purpose other than “symbolism?” It was all out of place for me. I did not enjoy it at all.

0/10