Life Is What You Makeup

Sophomores Kaity Roberts and Elena Blatt paint their futures with their own style of special effects.

Photo courtesy of Elena Blatt

Sophomore Elena Blatt creates a comic Pop Art inspired look

Movies, Halloween and Instagram. Not exactly things that go together, but some of the world’s most notable creations were made from abstract things. Movies, Halloween and Instagram; the three things that created the team of sophomores Elena Blatt and Kaity Roberts and their passion for special effects makeup.

Sophomore Kaity Roberts morphs her face into a skeleton
Photo courtesy of Elena Blatt and Kaity Roberts

Blatt found special effects makeup through movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings, two blockbuster films that required a lot of detail when it came to character creation. Roberts, however, wanted to shake up her Halloween costume. After creating a fake cut with ease, she was both amazed and in love with the process and simply continued.

Blatt, wanting to develop her skill, looked to the universal guide on how to do most things these days.

“I did not really do any lessons to figure out how [to do special effects makeup]. I did go to a makeup camp at one point and they taught us how to do burns, cuts and really mangled arms, but I mostly watched YouTube videos to learn how to do it,” Blatt said. Roberts also turned to YouTube, as well as Google Images and trying out different techniques on her own, to learn.

While endless practice and YouTube videos sharpened their skills and gave way to new ideas and experiments, Roberts was the one who created the Instagram account, currently named @kalena_makeup23.

“I saw her account- she had a makeup account already- and I said ‘Hey, I do that too.’ Then she told me the password and it took off from there,” Blatt said.

The two have worked in tandem ever since, posting pictures of simple eye makeup or their own creations. Even though they found special effects makeup separately, they have always been friends. They both agree that their shared love of makeup is what drew them closer.

Coming up with new ideas, seeing what works and what does not, even common mistakes such as over blending- when colors are blended together too much so that it does not look like anything anymore- are all challenges special effects makeup artists face. It may be all fun and gore, but Roberts and Blatt have to deal with these things each and every time they go to create new looks.

In the long run, both want to go into the makeup industry. However, getting into the special effects industry proves to be more challenging than one would think.

“It is something I love to do. It would be so awesome [to get into the industry], because it is male dominated, being able to say that I am a woman and I can do this,” Roberts said.

While Roberts is sure that special effects is her route, Blatt does not really know yet herself.

“I am not exactly sure about it yet, I have to explore my options. I think I want to go to school for makeup in general. I am not one hundred percent sure yet but if I end up really good at it then sure,” Blatt said.

The factors of new beginnings and change are a big part of why the girls keep coming back to the art time and time again.

“I can take it off when it is done; I can look different everyday if I want to- like I could just do something interesting and it comes off. I do not have to be permanent that way. If I wanted to change something, I could and then go back to normal,” Blatt said.

Some people find a musical instrument, a sport or a hobby as their outlet for energy and creativity. These two have found special effects makeup and through it they have learned and grown as people.

“I have impressed myself and learned to be really proud [of my work]. I am really happy when I show other people,” Roberts said.

So whether they are creating gashes or bruises, skeletons or comic book character face makeup, Kaity Roberts and Elena Blatt can and will constantly be creating something to shock us all.