Negligent or Necessary

Two The Chariot staff reporters debate whether or not overconsumption is nescessary.
Negligent or Necessary
Negligent

Instagram Reels have been my main source of entertainment during these past couple of months. I’m not proud to admit it, but its convenience and quick hit of dopamine fails to have any competition. I love how it’s catered towards me and my humour, and I like the feeling of shutting my brain off after a long day of thinking. Whether it’s a day in the life of an out of touch rich house-wife or a horrific car crash, reels never fail to cure my boredom. Sixty second videos are the most common form of entertainment amongst our generation. We all consume and relate to each other with this new media. It’s like our version of MTV or weekly sitcoms. 

When something like social media is so widespread, it will inevitably be influential within our culture. Unlike past decades, trend cycles have become shorter due to influencers and the accessibility of media. People don’t have to read monthly magazines or see the red carpet to know what’s in style. The power of being trendy is literally in the palm of our hands. TikTok creators will practically hold their followers hostage with their Amazon Storefront link asking them to buy an electric bento box or a mini-fridge for skincare. Consumers tend to be more susceptible to influencers instead of advertisements like infomercials because the content creator is essentially talking to their audience. People might buy these products to feel excitement, but this feeling of short-term satisfaction isn’t worth it when it harms our environment in the long run.

A lot more waste is created with this culture, too. With fashion trends being refreshed weekly and cheap useless gadgets being sold on TikTok Shop, a lot of products people buy tend to end up in landfills. 

According to the United Nations Environment Programme, “a truckload of abandoned textiles is dumped in landfill or incinerated every second.”

While shopping might give a short dose of dopamine, it should not be a viable solution to fix your problems. Finding hobbies that don’t involve constant spending will have longer lasting fulfilment. Rewarding yourself by buying products you will only use once isn’t sustainable and feeding your addiction to weekly packages will not give you long-term gratification.

Twenty years ago, trends would filter out more slowly, leading to more sustainable and higher quality products, but as society advances, innovative technology makes trends more disposable. Younger generations are bombarded with influencers telling them that they need a certain perfume or hairbrush to be worthy. Although people should be more aware of what they consume, it’s not a teenage girl’s fault that sweatshops with unethical labour exist. The issue of overconsumption is larger than Amazon’s Lululemon legging dupes. But that doesn’t mean that they are completely absolved from guilt. Supporting companies that expend a large amount of resources is unethical and selfish. As our planet is exponentially degrading, we are also responsible for change.

Necessary

In our economy today, overconsumption is increasingly prevalent. Although many people tend to critique the idea of consuming unnecessary goods, I personally fall victim to it, as do a plethora of others. 

I like to view consuming tangible objects as a reward; it’s a motivating factor for me. For example, if I have to study for seven hours, I will lose motivation as time progresses and that will cause my studying to be ineffective. But, if I tell myself that I can treat myself to something after studying, I will be much more motivated and remain diligent. Do I really need this product? No, but it will indefinitely have me sleeping with a smile on my face. 

As an avid reader, I possess five different copies of “Pride and Prejudice.” The text is the exact same in each copy, but all the different covers make me overly joyous and I purchased them as a result of a dopamine rush. I also bought a Christmas tree out of sheer excitement but never put it up. While my Christmas tree is rotting away in my room and serves no key purpose, it gives me so much happiness merely knowing that it exists. 

Although such consumption is seemingly illogical to the common eye, this reward system is what keeps me motivated and constantly ecstatic. The dopamine rush is real, and I am not alone in it. 

In another view, social media continually works to target teenagers such as myself, and it would be a blatant lie if I said it was ineffectual on me. Through social media and the constant emergence of new trends, my interests and hobbies are always changing. I’m finding myself constantly exploring new things. However, these don’t always last. The sewing machine in my laundry room closet may be collecting dust, but at least it helped me realize creating clothes was not my cup of tea. Furthermore, spending an abundant amount of money on yarn when I’ve never picked up a crochet needle may have seemed silly at the time, but I don’t regret it one bit as it granted me one of my favorite pastime activities.

Some utilize desserts or napping as rewards, but I am sadly one who finds joy in shopping. It may not be the best method, but it’s my method. All in all, consuming unnecessary products isn’t always the solution, but I truly believe it’s granted me a 100% on a test here and there through the positivity and comfort it brings.