The student news site of Troy High School

The Chariot

The Chariot

The Chariot

Making Waves

Inside the journey of the Troy Boys Varsity Swim Team to state championships.
Making+Waves
Ria Gupta

On March 6, the Troy Boys Varsity Swim Team competed in the Michigan High School Athletic Association Boys Division 1 State Championships, placed 17th and scored 49 points. Preparing for state championships took a lot of dedication from the swimmers. While the team has been ranked fairly high in the state of Michigan over the years, the team improved by 25.76 points compared to the previous year. 

“It really all comes down to just staying committed and just continuing to work hard and little technique improvements that can help you overall,” sophomore Benjamin Bricker states. Bricker swam the 200 freestyle in 1:43 and placed eighth in the meet, tying the school record. 

Senior diver Jasper Wright, who scored his highest back dive yet during the state championship, says, “We [seniors] all really wanted our final year to be the best. All of us wanted to reach our full potential.” 

However, keeping up the same level of motivation was difficult for the swimmers. Bricker had a hard time maintaining his goal, saying, “The challenge was keeping the end goal in line. When it is a three-month season, it’s very easy to lose sight of a goal.”

Freshman Mason Custer had the same issue. “My biggest challenge was getting the motivation to swim fast. I was not going the times I wanted to, and then one meet it just clicked and I got the time I wanted to.”

Head Coach Kyle Larson is credited for contributing to the success of the varsity team. Bricker states, “My coach personally plays a role in my success because he’s always telling me what my next step should be.” 

Teammates also helped encourage others throughout the season. Wright says, “I’d like to say that I’m a very good cheerleader for the team. As I only have one event that I compete in, I like to be cheering on the swimmers every chance I get.”

“As for my teammates, it’s just such a great environment. We keep each other motivated and we’re always cheering for each other,” Bricker states. 

Although the team had a very successful season, swimmers are hoping to improve even more next year. “I hope that next year I improve even more and I make it into the top eight in at least one of the events that I swim,” Custer adds. 

Bricker hopes for a similar future. “Hopefully I can break a couple more records and then have another successful season.”

Their recent success is a huge accomplishment for the team as well as for the school. Months of dedication and hard work paid off and the next season is looking promising due to the massive improvement this year.