Going Virtual

TSD announces their decision to return back to virtual learning.

Katelyn Carroll

The empty halls at Troy High

It has been over a month now since hybrid learning started, where 38% of students at Troy High were physically going to school. Since then, a second wave of the COVID-19 virus has impacted Oakland county. On Thursday, Nov. 5, Kerry Birmingham, the director of Communications and Strategic Initiatives, sent out an email to parents and staff explaining how classes will return to 100 percent virtual learning.

As we told you on Tuesday, COVID-19 is having a significant impact on our community, and by extension, our schools,” Birmingham said. “Today, we are announcing that beginning Monday, November 9, 2020, the Troy School District we will return to 100% virtual learning for all students in Kindergarten through 12th grade, as well as our Troy Center for Transition (TCT) program.”

Birmingham proceeded to explain why the hybrid learning had been cancelled, and why it is for the best.

“We continue to have major staffing issues, expanding past the high schools into our elementary schools, and it’s only a matter of time before it substantially affects our middle schools as well,” Birmingham said. “We simply do not have enough substitutes to cover our teachers and staff who are self-quarantining due to exposure to the virus.”

To virtual students, this change may not be major to them, but for students like senior Viviana Daoud, who have been trying out the new hybrid learning, this may change a lot. 

“I’m a bit disappointed, I enjoyed seeing my teachers again,” Daoud said. “My experience was pretty good, I actually felt more motivated to do better when I was in class and the teachers were a lot closer and it felt easier to speak up if I needed help.”

Although Daoud feels downhearted, she knows this decision is for the best for her community.

“Going virtual is probably the right thing to do, I mean, our neighboring schools are already getting a few cases and it’s only a matter of time before we follow in suit as disappointingly as this step back is,” Daoud said. “I’d rather have everyone be safe then sick.”